Thursday, February 2, 2012

taking my finances back

Online banking and debit cards have made me lazy in the financial responsibility department.  I stopped using a ledger more than a year ago.  The only check I write is for MDO each month.  During the summer I realized I waste a lot of money  so I started keeping a written ledger of all money and expenses.  I update it each week.  Then check it against my online account.  I really like the ideas on this blog about using envelopes.  The blog also encourages you to go a week without using your debit card to raise awareness of the extras you purchase. 

My biggest dumb expense is stops to Bush's for a sweet tea or Sonic during happy hour.  To help with my unplanned spending I allot myself so much in quick stops by placing a $5 each week in my glove compartment.  When that is spent I cannot make any extra stops.  Any money left the next Monday goes into my piggy bank or is given to my daughters for theirs.  I do not add it to the next week.

 
I also save money by meal planning and shopping alone.  It seems minor but it truly saves a bundle when you know exactly what to get, have a cash budget to remain within and no kids or hubby's begging for this or that.  Our breakfast, lunch and dinners are planned for a two to three week period.  Then I normally have two extra meals that are super easy like hot dogs or spaghetti.  And of course I keep back-up breakfasts like cereal on hand.  I have started doing freezer meals. 

 These help me cut cost because some recipes are for 6-8 portions.  By making ahead and freezing I don't have the waste of leftovers that never get eaten.  I love that. 

I'm at 1015 Pins.  I wonder if you can max out on Pins?!!


No comments:

Post a Comment